Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Arlington?
In various ways, smart tools like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We can receive updates if a stranger walks up to our front door, and we may even have video segments sent to us when dubious movements are found. Having components we can communicate with through the internet warns us of potential threats instantaneously. But there is one primary disadvantage. The quick access that benefits us is also opening a door hackers.
Even though you don’t have to lay awake at night worrying about smart home hacking in Arlington, you need to be aware of the potential safety issue and take action to steer clear of it.
How To Block Smart Home Hacking
Just about anything may be linked to the internet nowadays - your home’s security sensors, light bulbs, and even your refrigerator. The issue is that this creates more avenues for virtual villains to sneak into your network. That doesn't mean you have to eschew wireless home defense systems or other smart appliances. Rather, follow these suggestions and take steps to keep prowlers out of your network.
- Use strong passwords: This is a necessity for every account, especially your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and a mix of letters, special characters, and numbers. Don’t use dates of birth, anniversaries, or other things hackers might easily guess. A password creator will supply you with something completely random and a password manager will aid you in keeping tabs on your many accounts.
- Update default settings: When setting up your new router, it will probably come with a standard password to help you get started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers may know these default passwords too. Establishing your wireless network and home router properly from day one will go a long way to maintaining your security.
- Consider more than one network: Why put your smart fridge, your security sensors, and the laptop you use for work on a single network? Many routers permit you to initiate a different guest network. Take advantage of it and protect important data found on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for business settings. They can also be used on personal network. Firewalls are able to keep an eye on your network’s traffic and stop suspicious activity. You might opt for a router with a built-in firewall.
- Choose the latest encryption options and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you will likely have the chance to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You should find home security components that use 128-bit or higher.
- Be certain firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware on the most recent version for all devices, which includes your integrated camera surveillance. Many times, these updates will patch various susceptibilities and bolster your network security.
Be Wary of Cheap Smart Home Devices In Arlington
One of the advantages of working with a reputable name like ADT is having the peace of mind that security implements are constantly being examined to address any vulnerabilities. Other knock-off brands may not be so conscientious. Buying your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional components from a lone supplier like ADT is a wise choice. And having all of your systems connected at once will help ensure seamless integration, operation, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, uses two-way encryption when engaging with with your connected components.
Request Your Own Arlington Home Security System
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your private network safe from cyber criminals, you’re ready to start on your own home security in Arlington. The security experts at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to customize the ideal package for your property. Call (703) 546-7973 or complete the form to take your protection to a new level.